Europe Vs. China: Whose Population Will Shrink More?
China’s population is expected to shrink by 372 million by 2100 – or four times the number Europe will lose.
1. Among all world regions, Europe’s total population is currently exceeded only by Asia (4.4 billion) and Africa (1.2 billion).
2. While the populations of Asia and Africa will grow larger over the remainder of the century, Europe’s population will actually drop.
3. Europe is the only major region expected to lose population over the course of this century.
4. By 2100, Europe’s population is expected to fall to 645 million — about 93 million fewer people than today.
5. While Asia’s population is growing, the region’s most-populous nation today — China — is also shedding population.
6. Over the next eight and a half decades, China’s population is expected to shrink by 372 million, or four times the number that Europe will lose.
Source: Data by UN Population Division; data analysis by The Globalist Research Center.