Arctic Shipping on the Rise
How much has Arctic shipping grown in just a few years?
- The Arctic saves thousands of miles vs Suez Canal between Asia & Europe, but only available a few months.
1. Climate change has had a profound effect in the Arctic — and not just for the polar bears.
2. In 2009, the first commercial ship sailed across the Arctic Ocean. 46 ships used the route in 2012, the warmest Arctic summer on record.
3. About 400 vessels are expected to cross this “Northwest Passage” by the end of the 2013 season.
4. The Arctic route saves thousands of miles compared to the traditional Asia-Europe route through the Suez Canal, but it is only available for a few summer months.
From Russia Preparing Patrols of Arctic Shipping Lanes by Andrew E. Kramer (New York Times)