Can Germany Go Green?
Will Germany be successful in reducing its dependence on fossil fuels?
- By 2030, Germany could have a nearly emission-free electricity system with near-zero marginal costs.
1. By 2030, Germany could have a nearly emission-free electricity system with near-zero marginal costs.
2. In order to achieve this, it is estimated that an additional €200 billion will need to be invested up to 2030 in renewable energy and related systems.
3. This is in addition to the €150 billion the old fossil fuel system would have needed.
4. In the short to medium term, consumers will have to pay slightly more for their electricity.
5. However, stretched over two decades, the additional investment comes to less than 0.8% of GDP each year.
From The International Herald Tribune and Reuters/BDI.