The Most Populous State in the World
One Indian state has more people than Brazil.
1. Uttar Pradesh (UP) is India’s most populous state, with over 200 million inhabitants (based on India’s most recent census data, from 2011).
2. UP is, in fact, more populous than any other state/province worldwide. If it were a country, UP would be the fifth-most-populous.
3. With adjustment for growth since 2011, UP would likely rank behind Indonesia (257 million) and ahead of Brazil (207 million).
4. India currently has the world’s second-largest population. With more than 1.3 billion people, it accounts for nearly 18% of humanity.
5. There are increasing concerns in India itself about what effects this rapid growth will have on the country’s development.
6. On a per capita basis, Uttar Pradesh is one of India’s poorest states, with a per-person GDP of about $2,100 (adjusted for purchasing power).
7. Living standards in the most populous Indian state are roughly equivalent to those in Zimbabwe.
8. Uttar Pradesh’s population is equal to about 65% of the current U.S. population or about 40% of the 28-country EU population.
9. Uttar Pradesh is as populous as the 13 most populous U.S. states combined.
10. UP has as many people as the three most populous EU countries combined – Germany, the United Kingdom and France.
Sources: The Globalist Research Center, IMF, Statistics Times, UN Population Division