Population Growth at the Top: China Vs. India
India is expected to exceed China’s population by 2022, just seven years from now
November 5, 2015
1. China and India are the only two countries in the world which are “population billionaires.”
2. This applies even as far out as 2100. By then, the next most populous country in the world will be Nigeria, which will have 752 million people.
3. India’s annual population growth will exceed China’s for at least the next 45 years.
4. In contrast to China, whose population is projected to decline by 28 million between 2015 and 2050, India’s population is expected to increase by 394 million people.
5. Due to its rapid population growth, India is expected to exceed China’s population by 2022, just seven years from now.
6. India’s population then will stand at 1.419 billion, compared to China’s 1.409 billion.
7. Currently, China’s population of 1.376 billion exceeds India’s 1.311 billion by just 65 million people (about the same as the entire population of France).
8. The combined population of China and India, at almost 2.7 billion, means that those two countries are home to nearly two out of every five people in the world.
9. Together, the current combined population of China and India is greater than the entire world population in 1950.
Data source: 2015 projections by the United Nations Population Division. Data analysis by The Globalist Research Center
How China and India May Come to Blows
November 4, 2015