Coffee: The Brazilian Connection
Brazil is the largest coffee consumer among the world’s developing countries.
1. 8.5 billion kilograms (or 18.7 billion lbs.) of coffee were produced globally in 2014.
2. Brazil is by far the world’s top producer of coffee.
3. In 2014, Brazilian growers produced 45.3 million 60-kg bags of coffee. That was 32% — nearly a third — of the 142 million 60-kg bags produced worldwide.
4. After Brazil, the next largest growers were Vietnam (27.5 million 60-kg bags), Indonesia (12.5 million) and Colombia (9.4 million).
5. The average Brazilian consumes about 6.2 kilograms (13.7 lbs.) of coffee per year, which is the 11th-highest amount in the world.
6. On a per capita basis, Brazil is the largest coffee consumer among the world’s developing countries.