Perceptions of Superpowers
People think China will be the next superpower, but like the United States better.
July 18, 2013
1. 46% of people surveyed globally believe China has already, or will eventually, overtake the United States as the leading superpower.
2. 33% of people believe that China will never overtake the United States as the leading superpower.
3. Globally, 63% of people rate the U.S. favorably — and 50% rate China favorably.
4. Globally, 30% rate the U.S. unfavorably and 36% rate China unfavorably.
5. China’s favorability ratings are highest in Africa (72%), Latin America (72%), and Asia (58%).
6. China has lower favorability ratings in the Middle East (45%), Europe (43%), and the United States (37%).
From America’s Global Image Remains More Positive than China’s, But Many See China Becoming World’s Leading Power (Pew Research Global Attitudes Project)