6 Facts: The World’s Heavyweight Nations
More than half of the world’s obese population live in just 10 nations.
- More than half of the world’s obese population live in just 10 nations.
- World’s most obese nations: the US, China, India, Russia, Brazil, Mexico, Egypt, Pakistan and Germany and Indonesia.
- The five nations with the highest obesity rates are the US, Egypt, Russia, Germany and Mexico.
- China’s and India’s obesity rates are still comparatively low (4.5% and 3.3%, respectively).
1. Based on data for 2013, slightly more than half of the world’s obese population (51.4%, to be exact) reside in just ten countries.
2. In addition to the United States, they are China (62 million), India (41 million), Russia (30 million), Brazil (26.3 million), Mexico (24.5 million), Egypt (22.3 million), Pakistan (17.1 million), Germany (16.8 million) and Indonesia (16.6 million).
3. Five of the ten countries have obesity rates that exceed 20% of their populations.
4. In the United States, 27.5% of the population is obese.
5. By population share qualifying as obese, the United States is followed by Egypt (with an obesity rate of 27.2%), Russia (21%), Germany (20.3%) and Mexico (20%).
6. While China and India together account for 103 million (or 15.4%) of the world’s obese population, their obesity rates are still comparatively low (4.5% and 3.3%, respectively).
Source: The Globalist Research Center