The Rise of Cheap Solar Energy
How are existing utilities reacting to solar energy becoming cost-effective?
October 24, 2013
1. Solar panels will be increasingly attractive as they keep getting more efficient and vastly cheaper while household power bills keep rising.
2. From a cost-saving standpoint, every family home and commercial rooftop in Germany, Italy and Spain should install solar panels by 2020.
3. If these countries did install that much solar power, it would have a huge impact on conventional coal-, gas- or nuclear-based power firms.
4. Thousands of power customers in Europe are flocking to renewables-based utilities with the rise of solar energy.
5. Solar energy is becoming so cost-effective now, an “unsubsidized solar revolution” could soon supply 18% of electricity demand in parts of Europe.
From Renewables: A Rising Power by Pilita Clark (Financial Times)