The Russian Military-Industrial Complex by the Numbers
Only the United States sells more arms than Russia.
May 23, 2018
1. Russia had the world’s third-largest defense spending in dollar terms in 2016, at $69.2 billion.
2. The first-ranked United States still spends nearly nine times more than Russia, however. China spends more than three times as much as Russia.
3. However, as a share of GDP, Russia does spend more on defense (5.3%) than any NATO member country (including the United States), as of 2016 data.
4. In terms of personnel, Russia has the fifth-largest number of active-duty troops (831,000).
5. Russia ranks second worldwide for global arms sales by value – $6.4 billion accounting for 21% of all sales in 2016.
6. Only the United States sells more arms than Russia.
Sources: SIPRI, IISS, The Globalist Research Center